Thursday, February 28, 2013

I'm Artsy.

Every art teacher knows the Picasso quote, “every child is an artist, the problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.” I think this quote is detrimental to art education.

This quote alone has made many adults think that they are no longer artists, and do not know how to be one. Adults figure it must be hard to be an artist, it must be hard to be creative, it must be hard to draw. This is not helping advocate art education at all. Art education shouldn’t end with adulthood. We need those adults to see how important art is so that they see it all around them and advocate it to their youth!

You know what adults like to say when they find out I’m an artist/art teacher? They say, “Oh! I can draw a stick person!” I’ve said it before, that is BS. They also tell me how uncreative they are, and ask me weird questions about color theory, or try to think of something they know or read about art in general. People, you are no different than me. We are all artists and I can prove it.

Art in the 21st century is all around us. Recognizing visual culture as art is one thing, but producing art has never been easier. It might not all be good art, but it is art – visual, musical, and theatrical… it happens. I hope you enjoy this series of instant art posters, and I hope that it makes some adult realize that they are artsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment