Thursday, June 5, 2014

Engaging one day projects week! Dress like an art teacher and scream!!

I declared it "dress like an art teacher" day at my school and wore my you scream, we scream, we all scream for ice cream T-shirt.

I was happy to get some students first hour that recognized the picture and agreed that it was hilarious.  I decided to turn it into a teachable moment.  We spent 15 minutes on Edvard Munch's The Scream the last day of art class, but this could very easily be presented as an hour lesson.

I pulled The Scream up on my Promethean board.  We used Visual Thinking Strategies and discussed the painting for several minutes.  It was pretty fun to hear the ideas the kids came up with.  Next we reviewed a few part of the composition.  Then I used the Promethean Board pen to show the students how the screamer's head and body are just basic shapes.  They practiced drawing the famous face on their sketch paper.  Finally, students drew their own parody.  They were charged with figuring out why that guy was screaming and show it in their picture.  It was a lot of fun!
Squidward's girlfriend broke up with him over a text.


No comments:

Post a Comment