Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Making a Bowl from Magazines and Newspapers with Third and Fourth Grade



Every year I am charged with coming up with an art project for students to create and contribute to our school's Gala Auction. I've recently shared one of my awesome ideas, that I did with my third graders.  And really, I should share all the crazy things I've done over the past few years because some of them are real doozeys.  I'm of the philosophy that if I'm using art time to do these projects - they should be art projects that have something to do with our curriculum.  That has lead me down some weird paths.

This year has been especially tough because I am on cart due to Covid.  Kids can't share supplies, and my entire curriculum is turned on its head.

I usually try to think of a project that 1) students are making the parts individually and I put them together 2) doesn't stray too far from something I was already going to do, or have already done.  In other word... I don't want to teach a whole new skill for no reason. 

This year I had the great idea of having my combined third and fourth grade make a giant bowl out of newspaper and magazines.  I thoroughly researched how to do this, and how I could make it simple to do in their classroom. 

The skill I would be reinforcing was manipulating 2D shapes into 3D forms.  We would learn all about making cylinders and putting a 3D work of art or a sculpture together.  I made this video to teach them how to do it. 


That R2D2 is going to college this year.
Well, you know.  It went okay.  Some kids were good at making the tubes, some kids were good at making the rings, some kids were only good at flattening the tubes.  It happens.

The tube/ring building seemed to be going on FOREVER.  I only see these guys 2X a week for a half hour... and we have other stuff to do!!

After what amounted to about 2.5 hours of tube, ring, and flat circle building, I knew I had to put the kibosh on it.  There was no way we were ever going to make enough pieces to build up my giant R2D2 head punch bowl.  

I told the kids to power build what they could and I would take the pieces home and see what I could do with them.


If you are looking at this picture and thinking "There is no way 15 third and fourth graders took 2.5 hours of art time to make these.  That is insane.  That teacher is crazy." Well, guess what?  It did.  Rolling newspapers and magazines actually takes a long time, and then YOU NEED A TON!

I know, I know, I know it does not look like that many pieces.  You guys, it takes a long time and you literally need 100,000,012 to make anything.  I have way more respect for those ridiculously expensive recycled wastepaper baskets, owl door art, and earrings I saw on etsy.

Once I saw what I was working with I tried to come up with a new plan.  I tried multiple bowls that I had in my house, and found that the wooden salad bowl was the best since it had a flat bottom.  I could easily lay the pancaked pieces at the bottom and build around it.  



I used a ton of glue.  Before it was completely dry I removed it from the bowl and peeled off the paper liner just so it wouldn't stick on there permanently. 

When the glue was dry, I applied two layers of glossy Mod Podge - allowing it to dry completely in between layers.

It is actually very sturdy!  I am very pleased and proud of the results! Great job third and fourth grade.  

Update 4/11/21



No comments:

Post a Comment