Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Perpetual Calendar with Button Magnets in 6th grade for our Art Auction!

One of my schools is a Catholic School that holds a Gala and Art Auction every year.  I am tasked with making a project during art class with all the kids for every grade.

I recently wrote about my cool resin and wood trays, that I made with second and third grade, and making a bowl from magazine's and newspapers with third and fourth grade.  

For sixth grade I concentrated on illustration.  I wanted the kids to draw pictures to visually commemorate the calendar year.  I have 22 sixth graders, and chose two holidays for each.  I included all the HOB's (you know, Holy Days of Obligation) and other religious holidays, Federal Holidays, and sprinkled in some generic day's like "Birthday!" and "Vacation Starts!"  

My totally thorough brainstorm list of holidays.


This project would not of been possible without my super-awesome, ultra-hardcore button maker.  I got the 1.25" button maker several years ago from American Button Maker.  Within the last few years, the list of things you can make with a button maker has grown exponentially.  It's not just buttons anymore!  Key Chains, Badge Reels, Pony Tail Holders, and even Magnets.

The catalyst for this entire project was when I saw that I could make magnets with my button machine.  

First, I made a page explaining the project and the general directions.  This is probably not necessary in most cases, but because the class has 22 kids this year - they are divided into two rooms due to Covid restrictions.  Everything I have taught this year is written out step-by-step or on video. Because, even though there are two rooms - there is only one art time.  I have their classroom co-teacher with me each week as we divide and conquer 🙄.

The second page  I made for my students is what they were actually going to draw their designs on.  I  had their names and their "Special Days" filled out before I passed them out. They had plenty of circles in case they messed up.

The hardest thing was getting the kids to understand that their design could not go past that inner circle.  The outer circle indicates how big the paper needs to be in order to turn it into the magnet, and should be colored.

Once the designs were drawn and colored, I photocopied every one with the color copier.  I did this just in case I spaced out while making the buttons and destroyed it.  It's happened before.

I cut the buttons with my 1.25" hole punch and went to town turning them into magnets.

I didn't make a video of making the calendar magnets, but here is a fun one showing how I made some buttons and magnets of famous artists.

Once all the magnets were done, I tried to put them in chronological order.  I purchased oversized tin boxes to hold all the magnets.


I also wrote what the holiday was, when it was, and the child's name on the back with a white paint pen.
I found a magnetic calendar on Amazon that came with dry erase markers. 

I'm pretty pleased with the way it all turned out.  I wish I had more time with my students each week, because I know we could've done a better job with some of the illustrations. And, even though setting up to make 44 magnets, writing all that stuff on the backs, and putting it all together was time consuming, I actually do love making magnets and buttons.  I'll probably do something like this again!

The calendar sold at auction for $190!


No comments:

Post a Comment